FEAR IS A NATURAL REACTION – but can we practice Emotional Isolating during Covid19?

The honest answer is – I don’t know for sure, but I do hope so…

How are you all doing today? It has been the most surreal week, month – and already the most surreal year - for the whole world hasn’t it?  So how do we really stay WELL during this time of Global Crisis.

In addition to following the Best Public Health Advice from Reliable Sources and Implementing the best measures of Handwashing (7 step technique) and Social Distancing to name a few, I believe there is another thing we could be doing to enhance our level of WELLNESS at this time - Emotional lsolating.

I do NOT mean being blissfully ignorant to what is going on in the world
I do NOT mean being rude or discourteous to those around us
I do NOT mean pretending that we are not having certain emotions
I do NOT mean that having certain emotions is good, bad or otherwise

What I DO mean is that we are so much more than our emotions and if we can implement measures that can respect our emotions and help us to separate ourselves from them it will be of benefit to our overall wellbeing and immunity. 

I mentioned in my previous post how Covid19 felt a lot like déjà vu for me. I elaborated on the reasons why in order to provide some context for those that have recently joined Mind-Body-You. 

What I can say, is that during those previous times of profound fear, I found it extremely difficult to isolate myself from my emotions. As a result, I experienced a range of thoughts, feelings and effects – here are some of the ways those life experiences impacted on my overall being 

When you read through that list does it describe some of what you are feeling now? Our E-motions, the Energy we have in Motion, can impact on our whole-being unless we can find a way to distance or isolate ourselves from those emotions. 

I don’t know whether my experience would have been different if I had READ these words. Sometimes WORDS don’t teach – Sometimes it is ONLY FROM EXPERIENCE that we learn. But in the aftermath of my prior experiences, I received support and advice from counsellors, a maternal health psychologist and a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist (CBT) (amongst other resources) to help me understand the impact of my own emotions on my overall wellbeing and the importance of isolating emotions and recognising them for what they are.

So, ultimately, I can’t say whether having this information will help now during this current crisis, or whether like me, the time of readiness will be in the aftermath. I will post this now, and at least it is there to help someone, at some time, whenever that time is right for them.

Think about this: 

  1. What is your name? ________________ 
  2. Are you YOUR NAME?... No – you are so much more than that!
  3. Are you YOUR THOUGHTS?... No – you are so much more than that!
  4. Are you WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU in your life?... No – you are so much more than that!
  5. Are you HOW YOU ARE REACTING TO WHAT IS GOING ON?... No – you are so much more than that!
  6. Are you WHAT YOUR BODY IS EXPERIENCING as a result of the above?... No – you are so much more than that!
  7. WHO ARE YOU then? …. This, this is the key to emotionally distancing or isolating our emotions – we are so much more than our thoughts and feelings, we are so much more than our actions and inactions. 

So how can we calm the mind, our body and connect with our true selves by isolating our emotions? 

More in the next post, but between now and then I highly recommend a guided meditation – you can look this up on YouTube – it doesn’t have to be a long one, find one that you prefer – it will be different for us all. Find a quiet half an hour to sit, slow down and be still. 

More techniques to follow, lots of love and stay well 

xx Aishleen
Mind-Body-You





Comments

Popular posts from this blog